What Is Converting?
We define converting as the general term for activities that produce new value after sending relatively thin materials such as plastic film/sheets, metal foils, paper, paperboard, nonwoven fabric, textiles, metal plates, and glass through processes including coating, laminating, and printing.
Converting can be considered an integrated technology that combines a variety of fundamental technologies, such as coating, laminating, printing, and slitting. Converting results in products used in a wide range of fields, including packaging, agriculture, architecture, information, electricity, transportation, medical, security, environmental, and disaster prevention. In this way, the technology is used to satisfy the wide range of needs created by modern society. In addition, the potential of converting in the futuristic fields of bio technology and nano technology is increasing, bringing greater interest to this field.
Converting Technical Institute (CTI)
First issued as “Paper and Plastic” in May 1973, we publish the only specialized journal for the converting industry in Japan. In consideration of the increasing range of base materials, in April 1985, we changed the name to “Convertech,” a combination of the words converting and technology. Ever since, we have continued to provide information on technologies, materials, and products to converters and related user industries.
In April 1987, we held the “International Converting Material Exhibition, (CMM JAPAN),” the first converting related exhibition in Japan. In 2008, we renamed the exhibition “Convertech JAPAN,” which we continue to hold today as an exhibition for all converting technologies (Convertech JAPAN, neofunctional material, Printable Electronics, Advanced Printing Technology Exhibition, Prototype and Contracted Manufacturing Exhibition).
Company Name: Converting Technical Institute
Established: April 22, 1980
President: Masayoshi Araki
Address: 3-4-6 Iwamoto-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0032
603 NLC Central Bldg., 4-3-21 Nishinakajima, Yodogawa-ku, Osaka 532-0011
(1) Issuance of “Convertech” converting industry technical journal and publication of various books
(2) Issuance of “Convertech International (CONVERTECH & e-Print)” bimonthly english language version (since January 2011)
(3) Converting related exhibitions
“Convertech JAPAN” “neofunctional material” “Printable Electronics” etc.
(4) Publication for China (Chinese language CONVERTECH)
(5) Web Handling Technology Study Group Office
(6) Kansai Converting Manufacturing Study Group Office
(7) Seminars planning, etc.
(8) Editorial services for publications
(9) Internet business
● ”Convertech” (monthly)
● ”CONVERTECH International” (English)
● ”CONVERTECH” (Chinese)
● All About Converting (40th Anniversary Publication for Convertech)
● Slitting and Rewinding Technology (expanded edition), 2nd Edition
● Applied Coating Theory and Phenomena for the Plant
● Plastic Film and Resin Guide 2012 (with CD-ROM)
● Plastic Film Fundamentals and Applications
● Coating Fundamentals and Engineering
● New All About Coating
● Fundamental Theory and Application of Web handling
● Plastic Film and Resin Guide 2008
● Introduction to Coating Technology
● Converting Technology Guide
● Functional Material Guide 2006
● Slitting and Rewinding Technology (expanded edition)
● Basic Guide to Laminating Technology (3rd edition)
● Advanced Functional Paper Guide
● Plastic Film and Resin Guide 2004
● Finishing Machinery and Peripheral Equipment: Slitters, Rewinders, Cutters, Punchers
● Converting Products Guide: Applied Coating and Laminating Technology
● Coating: Discovering the Future the Past and Present of Machinery Technology
● All About Coating
● Flexo Printing Guide
● Flexo Printing: Technology and Application
● Gravure Technology Guide
● Industrial Plastic Films
● All About Converting
● Gravure Printing Guide
● Gravure & Flexo Printing Machines
● Converting & Printing
● Special Printing and Converting
● Slitting and Rewinding Technology
● New Finishing Machinery and Peripheral Equipment
● Coating & Laminating Machinery
● Converting Machine Guide: Processing Machinery and Peripheral Equipment Guidebook
● Plastic Film and Resin Guide 2001
● Biodegradable Plastic: Natural Environment Friendly Polymers and Biocompatible Polymers
● Basic Guide to Laminating Technology (English edition)
● Basic Guide to Laminating Technology (Japanese edition)
● Converting Industry Directory 1997
● New Functional Paper Guide
● Functional Paper Guide
● Advanced Laminating Guide
● New Laminating Guide
● Laminating Guide
Note: This is a list of the major publications we have issued thus far.
In April 1987, we organized the first converting related exhibition in Japan, the “International Converting Material Exhibition (CMM JAPAN). In 2008, we renamed the exhibition “Convertech JAPAN,” which we continue to hold today as an exhibition for all converting technologies (Convertech JAPAN, neofunctional material, Printable Electronics, Advanced Printing Technology Exhibition, Prototype and Contracted Manufacturing Exhibition).